Friday, September 08, 2006

The pain! The pain!


Wow, what a tough couple of days. A few weeks ago I started waking during the night with terrible jaw pain and my teeth hurting. I thought that I was clenching my teeth at night and this was making my jaw hurt. Well, 2 days ago I started having pain in my teeth on my upper right side. This was followed by marked swelling of my cheek and face. All of this was accompanied by the most excruciating pain ever! I went to the dentist and he was afraid to do anything with it. The tooth had an old root canal that was either failed or the root was fractured and on top of that, he said that the bone looked "funny" on x-ray. I went that same morning to an endodontist in Murfreesboro and she said that there was an abcess in my jaw bone and that the root canal had failed. No wonder I was in pain.

I had to go back on Thursday morning for a retreatment on the root canal and to try and get some relief. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but it was the worst thing that I have ever had. It wouldn't numb because of the infection (pretty huh?) and it was terrible. She did a great job and apologized everytime that a tear rolled from my eyes into my ears. Well, I am at home, with a still swollen face, a prescription for Percocet, Lortab, and two antibiotics and she said that I may have to go into the hospital for IV antibiotics. Yikes! I have gotten some relief but I am still taking the pain medicine and of course the antibiotics. Nothing is ever simple or cheap when it comes to my teeth. If I had all of the money that I have invested in my mouth, we could adopt 12 Jadyns, all with good teeth, of course.

3 comments:

Sissy said...

Amy, I hope you are feeling better today. I have been there and done that with the tooth thing, and like you it is probably the worst pain I have ever had in my life. If you can tolerate the pain meds it will give you some relief. Take care... Love, Sissy

dreamingBIGdreams said...

Oh my goodness .... girl you don't need this now!

Kelly said...

I had to have a cavity filled while I was pregnant and I think the pain was worse than childbirth! I will pray for you!