Saturday, January 05, 2008

But God, He's My Firstborn...


This is what I have told God many times over the past months.

As you may or may not know, Seth, my firstborn, will be boarding a plane to Penang, Malaysia tomorrow for a short-term mission trip with YWAM (Youth With a Mission). He will be there until he returns to the states on June 16, yes, I said June! That's 5.5 months. If you know the whole story of where Seth came from, where he went, and where he is today - God is truly amazing and He is working mightily in Seth's life. How proud I am as his Mother to see what he is allowing God to do. He is truly seeking God in everything he does and he just wants to tell people about Jesus - it's that plain and simple. Seth has a story to tell - I am grateful that God is allowing him to tell it. Some time ago, he told us that he feel like God is calling him to the mission field. He is currently corresponding with a group in Africa that he is considering becoming a part of AFTER he returns from Malaysia. Wow, is all I can say sometimes.

But, then there is the reality of it all. It's a tough thing for a Mom to let her child go and experience the world, but really experiencing the world, on the other side of the world, scares the heck out of me. I am about to send him to live in a foreign country, by himself for 6 months. At times, I feel almost a choking feeling in my throat when I think about taking him to the airport tomorrow and watching him go through that security gate. He will be living with a group of people that he don't know, in a culture that he's never experienced, in a place that he's never been. Have I prepared him for life? Have I done my part as his Mother? Have I done enough? It was a decision that he made on his own. He prayed over and chose this location - it was all between him and God. But, nonetheless, he is my firstborn. Oh, I know that the God I serve is Sovereign and that He is in complete control, but I am his Mom.

I am so very proud of him and am VERY excited for him. Pray for Seth and pray for us. He is thrilled and excited, but anxious about leaving Jadyn, go figure! They have become quite close since we brought her home.

If you want to follow his blog, here is the link to it.

Seth's Blog

I would appreciate any encouragement that you can give him and comments that you leave on his blog. Pray for us as we take this monumental step in cutting the apron string.

I love you Seth and I am so very proud of you, my firstborn.

How great is our God,
Mom

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh, Amy! I so excited and teary-eyed for you at the same time. As a mom, we want so much for our kids. But I can think of absolutely nothing better to want for my kids than to follow and seek after God with full abandon...all of their life...but especially before the responsibilities of life and a family take root....just him and God.

I'm on the edge of my seat as we watch what God is doing. You and the whole family are in my prayers in these coming days of transition.

Gina said...

Amy, What a bittersweet moment it will be tomorrow! We are so excited to follow Seth's journey. We will be praying for safe travels for Seth and God's comfort for you, Pat and the family as this exciting journey begins.

Andie said...

Praying for you! I know that it's exciting and heart-breaking at the same time. He's your child and he's going far away BUT he's also obeying God and going to serve Him and that is SO EXCITING! I can't wait to see how God uses this in not only his life but also yours and the lives of all those that he will meet in Malaysia.

Thinking of you today.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your whole family as Seth begins this amazing journey. I pray for his safety and for all the people that he will reach during his time there. What a great example of obediently serving our God.

You'll all be in my prayers.

Missy Anderson

lauraknight said...

Praying for you during these days of transition. Thanks for the link to Seth's blog. I'll check in often.

Maria said...

I've just cried reading this. I'm terribly emotional these days anyway :-) so reading this just made my heart crack right into. You can tell, Amy, that you were a fine mother or he would not have felt secure enough to leave, to go and teach. I know it was so hard to let him go. I will remember you in my prayers!
Hugs,
Maria