Sunday, January 20, 2008

Our Story...Part I

How refreshing it is when you look back and see the how a few of the pieces of the puzzle fit together. It always causes me to stand in awe of the Father. Some of you may know our story and some may not. So, for those of you that don't, the following paragraphs will allow you to look into the window of our lives. While it's tough stuff to deal with, I feel compelled to share our story. It's always important for something to be learned from your situations and circumstances. Equally, sometimes it's for someone to learn from your situation and circumstance. After all, if you don't have purpose for your pain, you just have the pain, and nothing to show for it. Let's begin, shall we?

January 7, 2007 2:08 a.m.

In May of 2005, we began a journey of a life time. We started the adoption process and looked forward to the addition of a new family member in the upcoming months. The wait time was a short 5-7 months for referral. We were logged in Oct. 21, 2005 and I don't have to tell you what happened with the wait time. It was at that moment that time began to nearly stand still. We received the referral of our precious Jadyn on March 5, 2007, traveled as a family in May 2007 and brought Jadyn home May 19, 2007. It was during that wait time of 2 years that my family experienced many ups and downs such as the death of my Mother, only 2 months after beginning our paperwork. It was a tough time, but it was only going to get tougher. It was also during this time of great pain that we began to watch our oldest son, Seth, pull away from his relationship with God and begin to live in rebellion. After some very difficult times, he moved out of our home out on his own, where we had much less control. With Pat being a pastor, we have lived in a fish bowl most of Seth's life. And, of course, the rumor mills began to crank out those rumors. Many of which were just blatant lies. Imagine that, the enemy using lies and the people that spread them, to bring you down. What a novel idea!

We had always planned to take both Seth and Zachary with us on our trip to China, but with Seth's growing rebellion, we had made the difficult decision to leave him at home. We explained this too him. He didn't like it, but understood. Again, in spite of the anticipation and excitement of seeing our daughters face for the first time, it was dampened by the situation going on around us. Even with the joy of our impending referral, it was a dark time.

Fast forward almost 2 years. We began to see God working in Seth's life, little things here and there. Comments he made, things that he did etc., were demonstrating that God was turning his heart toward Him. Pat and I really had to mind our own business, and allow God to mind Seth's business. We made the decision to give Seth a list of guidelines that he had to follow to allow him to go to China. He did these, all of them. So, after much prayer, we decided to let him go with us. We left May 8, 2007 China bound. On May 13, 2007, we witnessed the beginning of a transformation before our very eyes. We traveled to Jadyn's orphanage on that day, a day that I must say for obvious reasons, it changed all of our lives. But, a miracle happened that day. I watched as my 21 year old adult son knelt down beside a little girl in dirty clothes and in a dirty walker with snot dripping off her chin, and and ever so gently wipe her nose and face with a tissue he borrowed from one of our travel group ladies. Seth has always been very caring and gentle, so I was moved, but not surprised by his action. Little did I know, I was watching as God was transform the heart of my child, before my very eyes. Seth was very moved, and left in tears after visiting with "the least of these" that the Bible so plainly talks about. It was a life changing day for us all.

Again, fast forward. Tonight, as a family, we drove to the airport in Nashville and watched our 21 year old son, go through the security gate alone, to board a plane bound for Malaysia - to serve as a missionary there for the next 6 months with YWAM (Youth With Mission). We were met there by friends and family, who were there to see Seth off and be support for us. After returning from China, Seth begin to sense a calling had been placed on his life to return to Asia to demonstrate the love of God to "the least of these". We watched him move back home, begin college again and complete the semester with 3 A's and 1 B (and he was MAD about the B), spend time EVERY day with God, work full time, and live a God honoring life.

During the 2 year wait for Jadyn, I questioned MANY times God's plan in this all. Why so long? Why were we going through these things? Why was God not answering my prayers? and so on. Looking back now, I see so many pieces of the puzzle and how they fit together. And what I see, is on a small part of the puzzle. And, as I sit here tonight at 2:08 a.m., unable to sleep, because my first born son is somewhere on a plane bound for Taiwan and then on to Malaysia, I felt an overwhelming prompting from God to share our story. As I was replaying the events of the past 2 1/2 years in my mind, God reminded me of something. "This adoption that I lead you to was not about you, and it wasn't about a little girl living in an orphanage in Fuling, China, and it wasn't about the transformation of Seth, it was about Me and My glory - all the time." This journey is not about us, it about a much bigger plan - one that is life changing and transforming.

So, whatever the reason, God had me share this with you. Maybe you are in the middle of a storm with a child that is rebelling, God has a plan. Maybe the crushing feeling of increasing wait times has you feeling defeated, God has a plan. Maybe you are wondering how this adoption will change your life, God has a plan. I don't know, but God does. We think we have it all figured out, but what we know barely scratches the surface. God used a little girl with a runny nose to bring a 21 year old to say "I just want to share Jesus with people". You never know what the impact of this journey that we are all on, whatever your journey. I am so very grateful that the Master Artist is making all things work together for good.

Pray for Seth, as he spends the next 6 months sharing God's love with others. He will be in Malaysia for 3 months and then spend the next 3 months in another location. He will seek God's face on where he is to go, but it will be somewhere in South Asia. I have a link to his blog from my blog, should you want to follow his journey. But mostly, I just ask for your prayers - for his safety and that he can effectively communicate the transforming power of the gospel to the people of South Asia.


(I wrote this in wee hours of the morning after taking Seth to the airport. It was one of the toughest times of my life. But, seeing God work through this, made it easier to bear. Thank you for praying for our family)

Amy

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I had NO IDEA of the things you had experienced over the past few years! What a miracle God has done in Seth's life! Who but God could save two lives at once -- Jaydn's and Seth's -- clear on the other side of the world?

There is great power in telling your story! So many people need to see transparency, lack of perfection -- so they can see the wonder working power of our Great God!

Blessings,
Dori

Jennifer said...

FIrst I want to say Thank You for sharing your story. I have been following your blog for sometime now - I am not really sure how I came across it.

I am also a Pastor's Kid...it is not easy, for sure. My husband and I are LID 4/17/07. I have been struggling a lot lately with the increasing waiting time. We decided to adopt after 3 years of infertility issues and preterm pregnancy loss. This past week I have caught myself questioning God about why we can not have children. I have been told over the past week of numerous couples who are expecting. One couple is our closest friends. I know that GOd has his plan in action for us but it is so hard for me to understand... Reading your story was what I needed...Thank you so much for sharing it...

Please keep my husband and I in your prayers as we are on this LONG Journey in our life...

Jennifer S.
Atlanta, GA

Tiffany said...

God's plans are truly awesome and immesurable. I sit in awe of what He has done in mine and Steve's life over the past 8 years. Who would have thought this up? South Asia? Us?

You are right ~ the Master Artist is painting pictures that we cannot fathom but are truly too beautiful for the eye to behold.

Thank you for being transparent, it's how God's glory is revealed to others.

I am keeping up with Seth and am prayig for him.

Love you!
~T

Linda C said...

Amy,
What I love about my church, is that our staff is just real! Parents, Husbands, Wives, Children, very real. The Sunday Seth left and Pat was sharing a bit of of ya'lls past 2 years, I told a friend next to me that I was witnessing an annointing pouring over Pat. Hard to explain what I saw, but it was real.
You, Pat and all your children have blessed so many lives in the fishbowl. Thank you that you have kept swimming. Everytime I read Seths blog, I either cry from laughter or from the presence of the Spirit in Malaysia that has been waiting for Seth to show up and knock down doors. Thanks for sharing from the heart of Amy!

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say thanks for sharing your story. God is awesome!

Sissy said...

SEE!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

you always encourage me ... life brings so many storms and just when we feel as if we are going under we see the hand that has always been there ... God thank you for never leaving us ...

Let's grab his hand together ... we need us a sit down soon ...

The Shingletons said...

Unfortunately, you are still in a fishbowl. The difference now is that people are seeing God do amazing things in your life! None of us know what tomorrow will hold for our own children. No matter how we raise them, they have to make the choices on their own of whether to follow Jesus or not to. You showed so many people how to love even in the hardest times. No one ever felt that your love for Seth was any less. In fact, we saw that it was probably more because you knew that he was having to live with the consequences for his rebellion and you were hurting for him. Thank you for being an example to so many of us who are raising kids with that "free will" God gave them! You are still in the fishbowl by friend, but you give hope to so many through the beautiful picture we are seeing. Thank you for your transparency. Love you, Shawnah

Anonymous said...

Amy: What a great story, I didn't know some of it but I do know what a wondeful,compassionate young man Seth is, he always was the first one to jump up to help Mother or me....I'm praying for you all...Love, Benny & Annie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing down into words the pieces of your puzzle. God absolutely led me to read this morning (02/08/08). I needed encouragement in a way only this entry could have accomplished.

Wife of the Pres. said...

Thanks for sharing. Only God could have led me to your blog. Today, 3-13, I listened to our pastor's 2-24 sermon b/c we were out-of-town that weekend. He mentioned your husband in the sermon and his blog. I thought, Well I should check out that blog. It was just one of those promptings. I needed encouragement today as my husband and I and our two boys are awaiting God's perfect plan for the blessing a daughter from China. We have been called to a special needs child and some days the unknowns really get to me, but God used your 1-20 entry to bless me today! Thanks for the reminder that it is completely for HIS GLORY! What an amazing testimony you have and your transparency is amazing as well. Thanks again.

God Bless,
Leslie from TSC