Happy Mid Autumn Moon Festival Day. And to think, you didn't even know it was a holiday!
September 25, 2007 marks the celebration of the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival and is the second most important holiday in the Chinese culture. The Chinese Moon Festival is very much like Thanksgiving in North America. Families join together and admire the bright, full moon, while eating sweet moon cakes and enjoying one anothers company.
Under this full moon friendships are renewed, families are reunited, and long lost lovers find their way back to each other. Under the bright moonlight, the families toast each other, family togetherness and wish peace for everyone. Familes also reflect on those family members that cannot be with them on this special night. If only for a brief time, they can be joined together by looking at the same moon. It's a time for reflection on the bounty of the harvest, loved ones, and to wish our families and friends well. This holiday is celebrated by nearly everyone in China, both young and old, rich and poor.
There are many legends and myths from thousands of years ago, but as time has passed, families celebrate much like we celebrate Thanksgiving, with food, family and friends and thankfulness. Chances are, tomorrow, Jadyn's birth mother and father will celebrate this very special Chinese holiday. Teaching Jadyn the Chinese culture is important to us, while teaching her from a Christian perspective. Quite likely, her parents will gaze at the moon and reflect on family members both near and far. Something in my heart tells me that her birthmother will long to know if she is okay. She will think of that very small bundle that she carefully placed at the gate of the orphanage and wonder where she is, is she safe, is she cared for? Having a mother's heart myself, tears fill my eyes as I reflect on the uncertainty she must have in her heart.
So, tomorrow night, I will go out onto my back patio, with the daughter that God blessed us with, and I will hold her close and pray this prayer.
"Father, you are the Creator of all things. The earth, the sun, and the moon are Yours. Thank you for the blessing of this child. As I look at the moon that You placed in the heavens, I ask you to bless Jadyn's birth family. But especially Father, wrap her mother in Your arms tonight. Lord, I pray that if tears fell from her eyes as she looked at the moon, that You dry them. Father, I pray that she will find comfort in You and You alone. As it is only from You that we find perfect peace. Help her to know in her heart that Jadyn is cared for and loved so very much. Give her that peace that passes all understanding. Father, you allowed her to give us the most perfect gift - the gift of Fu Bao Jun - Jadyn Grace BaoJun Hood, and for this gift we will be eternally grateful. Thank you for this gift."
I will reflect on my family, both far and near, on a family in China that we will be forever linked to, and on God's blessings. So, if you happen to notice that beautiful full moon, say a prayer of peace and thanksgiving.
With a very grateful heart,
Amy



5 comments:
Boy did you ever bring a tear(s) to my eyes this morning. I remember us talking about this Chinese holiday last year (and crying). Jadyn has been such a blessing to our family and I know her birth family has suffered a hugh loss. I too will remember them tonight. Hope you have a great day! Love, Sissy
Amy, well from one of your fellow bloggers I hope you won't mind that I copied parts of your post onto my blog this morning. (I noted that "parts of this post were borrowed from a fellow blogger; Thanks Amy, Momma of Jadyn"! Thank you for keeping us aware of such a special holiday & for the prayer too! It is so important for us all to be in thought & prayer all the time for our birth mother's, but especially in times/Holidays such as this one. I just wanted to make sure all that read my blog that might not read yours got the same message! You are the best! Jadyn is growing up so fast! She is just beautiful! Jen P.
oh man, how sweet to remember her birth mothers pain. My Grandmother gave away her first baby. She was a teenager and she could not keep it in the 30's that was unheard of to do. On her dying bed (2002) she told us and still grived and felt the guilt of giving her up. Oh and my Grandmother was adopted out during the depression due to her family could not feed another child. So I think it is wonderful that you remember Jadyn's mother and relize the pain she must feel.
So beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us all.
I love all the pics of Jadyn and the spaghetti-0s. Bring back memories! Jared used to beg for them for breakfast!
that would be "bringS" back
Post a Comment