Thursday, October 16, 2008

To Lose a Friend


Seldom in life do you meet someone who leaves an imprint on your soul of the way people are supposed to be in this world.  Someone who touches your life unlike anyone you have ever known or met.  Someone who you know you can trust, who is an example for you to follow and who causes you to evaluate yourself more closely than ever before.


Jacquie Franklin did that for me.

On Saturday night, while still in China, Pat and I learned of the passing of a sweet friend.  At 3:00 a.m. on Saturday morning in Smyrna, Jac met face to face, the One whom she loved.  I know that she walked hand in hand with her Savior into eternity, because I believe He receives each one of His children home like that.  I don't believe He allows us to walk that journey alone.  I believe that He is with us every step of the way.  In learning of our loss, Pat and I held each other and cried.  I am so very grateful to a God that orchestrates every move that He allowed our paths to cross and fully believe that not a single event was by accident.  Looking back over the past few years, it's so very easy to see the hand of God in so many things.

Friend.

Simply put, Jacquie was my friend.  She made me want to be a better person just by being around her, isn't that what friends are for?  She always left you feeling loved and valued.  I love people that give value to your very existence.  And she did.  She made you feel like you were on the top of her list of favorite people, from the homeless men at Room at the Inn that she didn't know personally, to Mike and Ryan.   And, those of us that were priviledged to fall somewhere in between.  She gave value and worth to your life, just by being her.  She was never without a compliment, always saw the good in people, and thought my cobbler was the best ever!  Sweet memories that bring a smile to my tear stained face.  It's taken me a few days to collect my thoughts, but it took only a matter or seconds to begin the self-examination of my life.  In feeling the sting of death of a loved one once again, I looked at my feeble attempt to make a difference in this world.  Perhaps, moreso than ever before.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect several of us that knew and loved Jac are doing the same.  That is the legacy of Jacquie Franklin.  That is what she left behind, a trail of people in her wake that are now looking at their own lives and wondering what impression they are leaving on this world.  At least I know that I am.  Thank you for being my friend, for I am blessed by having known you.

Servant.

On Tuesday, before Jac's homegoing on Saturday, she asked to paint the toenails of a friend.  After a bit of persuading, Susan allowed Jac to paint her toenails.  It was a struggle, and weakness and fatigue were the enemy at this point of her life.  After finishing her final masterpiece, she was tired and went to lie down.  She never got up again, at least not in her earthly body.  Her last earthly task was "washing the feet" of a friend.  A true servant's heart if ever there was one.  Her final act of servanthood on this earth was complete, that of making a difference in each and every life that she touched.  What an example!

Daughter of the King.

Without a doubt, watching the spiritual growth take place in the life of Jacquie has been a great joy in my life.  Even when facing the dark days that she knew would soon come, she pressed on.  Oh, it was not without tears, for we shed many, many tears over her illness, lousy test results and fear of the unknown.  But, she completely trusted her Creator.  The One who knit her together in her Mothers womb, the one that ordained each one of her days to be, even before the very foundations of the world were laid.  You see, Jacquie knew Him personally and loved Him with all her heart.  She walked with Him, talked with Him, and relied on Him for her strength and perseverance in the face of her failing health. "It's all good" came across Jac's lips many, many times.  Even then,  she trusted Him.  She looked to Him in the good times and in the bad times.   Oh, how grateful I am for that summer evening when Jac walked across my yard and struck up a conversation, part of which included "what time does your church start"?  It was just the beginning of a bunch of puzzle pieces that were about to fit together.

Whole.

I never stopped praying for Jacquie and I never stopped asking God to heal her.  More than ever before, I boldly stood before the Throne and asked my God to heal Jacquie, EVERY time I prayed for her.  I repeatedly claimed scripture and I fully believe that if He has chosen to do so, He could have healed her body of that terrible disease.  Did God fail no answer my prayer?  No.  For, you see, Jacquie IS healed.  She is more whole that she has ever been in her life.  God answered my prayer, just not the way that I would have chosen for it to be answered.  I am thankful that there is no more cancer, no more tears, and no medications.  It just stinks for the rest of us.  But, I am thankful that we were blessed with many, many good times with Jacquie even after that terrible day in February when she was diagnosed.  I am thankful, most of all, that she is whole.  Not broken anymore, but whole.  God, you are good.  

Jacquie, my friend, thank you for making a difference in both life and death.  I will miss your sweet face, your kind words and your servants heart.  I will miss you, sweet friend.

"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord
is to be praised.  Give her the reward she has earned..."
Proverbs 31:29-31a
 
Until we praise Him together again,



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute. Today your friend IS healed and whole. Praying for comfort for her friends and family.

Gina said...

You are an awesome writer, Amy. I hope you were able to share your thoughts/words with your friend's family. I will be praying for her family and friends.

Mandi said...

This is just beautiful. I am praying for you my friend.

Janeen Jordan said...

(((Amy)))

I didn't know Jackie, but I can tell I missed out not knowing her. You are right, she was healed for her heavenly home and friends and family can take comfort in knowing they will one day see her again - in her glorious new body!

Diana said...

I know that to be terribly emotional to write because it was emotional to read. It is a beautiful look at your friendship with someone you hold so dear.

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Thank you for sharing your memories, your praises through the tears and your friend's journey home.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Amy, I am the person that came to you in tears a couple of Sundays ago after church. I am in tears again reading about the loss of your friend. I will have her family/friends in my prayers...and thank you for being a friend to me although you do not know me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, I enjoy reading about your recent mission trip to China. Thanks for sharing

Melinda Speece said...

Thanks, Amy.

Peace and comfort to us all as we grieve and rejoice,
Melinda Franklin Speece

Melanie said...

Thank you Amy for the peace and power of your words. I find comfort in your words and in Pat's message last week.
Blessing to you,
Melanie Franklin Edwards

Anonymous said...

You captured Jac's spirit so beautifully and offered sentiments that are shared by many, many friends. An incredible tribute.

Tina said...

Amy,

Reading this has truly blessed my heart. The words were as powerful as the love behind them and the Love that holds you all togehter.

Bless you.

Callie Mills said...

I miss her so very much, too. I remember one day, I went over to hang out with her, just the two of us. She dressed me up in her wedding dress, did my hair and makeup, and took pictures of me. She always made me feel so special and like her own daughter. I always admired her and loved her very much. Thanks for posting this! It's nice to remember her :)

Jamie Ivey said...

Wow, I remember her when we lived there and honestly don't think I knew that she had passed away. I knew she was sick, but never knew what had happened. In my short encounters with her I felt the same you did on a smaller level. What a legacy she leaves. Thanks for sharing.