Thursday, February 08, 2007

The View From Down Here-Lesson 1


You asked for it, so here you go. What have I learned during this long journey of adoption? A journey, that I might add, that is not over. We are still traveling that road and looking for a place to rest. Sometimes, we need the rest more than others. Sometimes, we find ourselves running and other times we are simply dragging our feet. What a journey it has been!

From the time that we began this journey almost two years ago, I held onto a picture in my mind of Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus while everything else is going on around her. That is precisely where I have found myself and how I have coped with the increase wait times, the disappointments along the way, and quite frankly, the thought of my daughter being in an institution in China and my inability to get to her. At the feet of Jesus, that is where I have stayed. Never before in my life have I ever been forced to rely on Him so much. Isn't that exactly what He wants us to do? So what's the problem? How hard can it be to completely and fully rely on Him? How hard can it be to trust Him completely? How hard can it be to sit at his feet and focus on Him, rather than everything that is going on around me?

It's hard, very hard. At times, I have found myself, sitting at His feet, yet looking at the giant that I was facing. The giant of increasing wait times, etc. It was during those times, I realized I was no longer focusing on Him, but the other things and they were huge from where I was sitting.

One of the verses that God has repeatedly given me during this time is this...

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

From where I am sitting, it's looking pretty sweet right now...

4 comments:

Alison B. said...

thanks amy. i needed this word today.
the attitude that you & Pat have modeled for us during your wait is something we are striving for.
SO excited for you guys.

Tiffany said...

Hey Amy, I needed that today! I was so disappointed last night when someone came up to me and said, "Hey! we've got a contract on our house and they want to close in two weeks!" UUUUUGH! I was truly happy for them, really. I was just so frustrated because her house has been on the market less than 2 months and mine is going on 9 months. Sometimes the waiting on God's timing is so hard and it is harder when we take our eyes off of Jesus. Thanks for reminding me of the One whose timing and perspective matters most. ~Tiffany VanDyke

Unknown said...

Good words...

Anonymous said...

What a word! I pray that we continue in this journey we will stay focused on Him. He sure cares about all of our children far more than we do and I know He has a perfect plan far better than anything we could ever imagine. Thanks for sharing and God bless you in your waiting. May He continue to grow you in your walk with Him in this special time. His waiting rooms are not always "action packed" but He is always there and there is always something He wants us to learn and grow closer to Him. What a priviledge to be on the journey with the Creator of the Universe!